APPLES Service-Learning Portfolio
Durham County Cooperative Extension
- Linked above is an updated resume that reflects the new experience from APPLES Service-Learning! Harris, my partner for the semester, and I had an excellent time learning about the public relations industry and collaborating with a wonderful nonprofit.
- This audit provides a summary of the Durham County Cooperative Extension’s programs. It analyzes the nonprofit’s current media presence and suggests possibilities for improvement. It also highlights general strengths, weaknesses, threats and opportunities for the organization.
- The fact sheet was a simple way to share the most important details about the Durham County Co-Op with the public. It was a challenge to keep the writing concise yet informative. Nonetheless, I believe this fact sheet will help potential beneficiaries and donors quickly understand what the Extension stands for and what it accomplishes.
Brochure (Additional Material)
- I decided to make a brochure as the additional material for the Durham County Cooperative Extension. I wanted to go into more specific detail on each program, but I wanted the brochure to be concise and not complex or overly detailed. I feel that I struck a good balance with the amount of information in the brochure. Additionally, I wanted every material I created to be consistent with the next and feel like a cohesive body of media. We decided to use the color scheme in the Durham County Cooperative Extension’s logo to make the materials look bright and inviting.
Flyer (additional material)
- The organization’s close connection with the Spanish language was something that attracted me to it early on. Hispanic Literatures and Cultures is my second major, and I am always looking to get practice with Spanish outside of a classroom setting. This was a very fun project for me because it combined both of my majors. It allowed me to see how I could implement Spanish in my future advertising or public relations work.
- I conducted a Q+A with Carolyn Krueger, the Kids Voting Durham program coordinator. In my meetings at the Durham County Co-Op, I’d heard that Kids Voting Durham was one of its most successful programs. I spoke with Krueger to find out more about her job and how Kids Voting Durham has developed local youth into informed citizens.
- This reflection shows my final thoughts on my experience at the Durham County Cooperative Extension. I found the semester to be a beneficial experience for my future career, and I greatly enjoyed meeting everyone involved with the organization. I hope to collaborate with the Durham County Cooperative Organization on future projects, and I appreciate them being so helpful and kind throughout the semester!
- Above is my completed time log.